(203) 713-8877
Email Us
Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm - Other hours by appointment

1. What is Small Claims Court?

  • The “Small Claims Court” is a part of Connecticut’s court system where a person can sue for money damages only up to $5,000.00. That amount is set by state law and may change from time to time. You may also be able to get interest and costs.
  • The only exception to the $5,000.00 limit is a case brought for the return of a security deposit in a landlord–tenant matter. In this situation only, the plaintiff may sue for double the amount of the security deposit, plus interest that has been added to the amount, even if the doubled amount brings the claim over the $5,000.00 limit.
  • You do not need an attorney.
  • Magistrates (specially appointed lawyers) decide the cases.
  • Simple rules of evidence apply, instead of complex rules.
  • There is no transcript of the trial; it is not recorded.
  • There is no right to appeal the decision.

2. What cases belong in Small Claims Court?

  • back rent;
  • return of security deposit;
  • broken or damaged property;
  • unpaid claims;
  • breach of a written or verbal contract;
  • doctor/hospital bills for medical treatment;
  • claims valued up to $5,000.00.

3. What cases do not belong in Small Claims Court?

  • libel or slander;
  • damage to your reputation;
  • name call or texting;
  • claims valued at more than $5,000.00.

If you are being sued in a Small Claims Lawsuit, contact us here for immediate assistance.

Source: Connecticut Judicial Branch Website