If you owe federal income taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you may be able to discharge the debt in Bankruptcy. In order to do so you must qualify for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and all of the following conditions must be met:
- The taxes that you owe are, in fact, income taxes and not any other kind of taxes such as payroll taxes;
- You have not filed fraudulent returns or intentionally evaded paying your taxes;
- The taxes you owe were due to be paid three (3) years ago or more;
- You actually filed a tax return for the taxes due at least two (2) years before your Bankruptcy filing; and
- The taxes must have been assessed within 240 days of your Bankruptcy filing (this time period can be affected by any offers in compromise or other actions suspending collection activity).
To schedule a free consultation to discuss your specific circumstances with Attorney Theresa Rose DeGray, please call or text 203-713-8877.
Sources: IRS and Nolo.